Friday, March 29, 2013

BIRTHDAYS

     My birthday this year landed right on Good Friday.  Needless to say I did not have a steak or a cake.  I will make up for that.  But the birthdays are surprising me more every year as they add up and the speed at which they come.
     This week a young man told me he was seven and a half.  It struck me how the longing for age when young is reversed.  I will now say I am fifty eight and when I say and a month or a half it is trying to hold the time in not hurry it along.
     It strikes me that age is not only becoming a personal detriment but many other things are treating me that way.  I now know that liberals do not address the problems of age because it is increasingly becoming your duty to die.  If you are not drawing out benefits you don't cost the system.  The only reason now that we are not in a crash down hill is that the numbers around my age and older still are the biggest demographic and many have the assets and the reasons to care what happens.  We all still vote in a larger number.
     I find a lot of delight in the younger generations that still care about their communities and the people who built them and those who sacrificed themselves so the next generation has a great life.  I am worried about this set of leaders that are dead set on spending the future away.  I blame both parties.
     The great thing for me is that growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.  I still don't know what I will do when I grow up.  I hope that is on my tombstone.
     In the 58 years I have been here I have been so fortunate to have seen and done so much.  I have met and been friends with a wonderfully interesting group of people, and continue to do so.
     For one that was drug kicking and screaming into the 21st Century I have spent a big part of the day saying thank you to most of the 1000 facebook friends that I have.  (I really was not trying to build that number).
     I hope that I count among all of you as friends.  We do not have to agree on everything as long as there is a free discussion.

THANKS FROM THE OLD FART UP ON THE HILL.

No comments:

Post a Comment