Tuesday, April 2, 2013

DEATH OF KANSAS

THE NEWS OF MY DEATH IS GREATLY EXAGGERATED!
                                                       Mark Twain


A REPLY TO JASON PROBST: HUTCHINSON NEWS ARTICLE 3-30-13:  KANSAS 1861-2013
 
 
     I thinks I smell the frustration of a reporter who is out of touch with the boundless diversity of the Kansas people.  And also on the other side of a political fence that people sit on but very seldom cross over to work on problems together.  It is very easy to talk across the fence.
     The problems that the State of Kansas finds it's self in goes to a lot of things including Governors who raid one budget to prop up the image that the whole budget is sound.  Working agenda's with special interest groups that have no interest in the whole concept of government, just their narrow views.
     I am not thrilled with the actions of the Governor and the legislators but I do not believe the state is dead because of them.  I blame education interests in the large metropolitan areas for lusting after the revenues of the Hugoton gas fields to fund the whole state.  I blame the teachers unions for protecting substandard teachers and wanting money thrown at problems rather than celebrating the dedicated teachers who do a great job.  I blame departments who are more worried about holding onto what they have rather than how to be efficient.
     I blame the DOT for spending 4 times the amount of time to design and build projects through swamps and taking out businesses for roads that should have been done 30 years ago.
      I blame party bickering over things that don't matter over things that continue to make the state a better place to live and work.  I blame companies that started and grew to greatness for leaving workers and the state for a place to sail the CEO's yacht and to states who were smart enough to lower their taxes.  I blame those in this state that did not lower taxes to keep these companies.  I blame the governments that offered so many incentives over the years only to have them spent and moved away.
     I blame those who have put road blocks to the exceptional Kansans who still are innovative yet find they are enabled to create elsewhere.  I blame the introduction of learning programs that move the student from exceptional to average because we cannot hurt the feelings of those who are not up to learning.  I blame pulling down from the top to dictate how and what is learned.
     I blame those who believe that it is preferable to be known as the abortion capital of America to those who would celebrate and support those who cannot speak for themselves.
     I blame left wing Democrats and top heavy Republicans who views everything in their own light rather than trying to do what is right.  It is hard to do what is right when you cannot even agree on what right is.  I have found that talking works better than shouting.
      I still see boards and committees that have a Urban Renewal mentality and that saving historic things is not a priority.  Yet there are Kansans that are out there working for our heritage.
     I see towns and cities that celebrate what they stand for.  I see individuals working for good.  I see organizations that celebrate Kansas and promote and support those who make this a great state to live in.
     I see younger people moving back and others coming to Kansas because of what we are.  We only need to get the people to quit asking how they got stuck in Kansas and see Kansas through their eyes.
     Kansas has people like Marci Penner and the thousands of others that promote and support the positives of Kansas.  The leaders in countless businesses that make this state their address and provide jobs and opportunities.  We have world class artists and entertainers that add richness to a lifestyle that ranges from the symphonies like Wichita, Kansas City, Hutchinson, Children's theaters, music from Ann Zimmerman to Zerf.  Groups such as the Diamond W Wranglers that take what is Kansas to Germany, New York, and the Great Wall of China.
     We have institutions that have the highest numbers of Rhodes Scholars and athletics and students that place us in the ranks of the elite.  Even if the media from the coasts ignore it.
     Without Kansas the cowboy would still be known as drovers.  We still feed the world with the most efficient farmers and ranchers in the world.  When the world wants to see how it is done they still come to Kansas.  When aviation wants training or innovation they come to Kansas.
     Yes I think we have problems but I think we have people that are up to the problems.  Thank goodness that a newspaper has no say as to whether we are up to the challenge.
     I do believe the rumors of Kansas death are greatly exagerated

No comments:

Post a Comment