Saturday, January 12, 2013

VALUED EDUCATION

 
 
I PLEDGE MY HEAD TO CLEARER THINKING.
MY HEART TO GREATER LOYALTY.
MY HANDS TO LARGER SERVICE,
AND MY HEALTH TO BETTER LIVING,
FOR MY CLUB, MY COMMUNITY, MY COUNTRY
AND MY WORLD.
 
                                                                         4-H PLEDGE
 
 
     The number one fear that people have is to get up in front of other people and speak.  There are a few that are naturals and getting up in front of people is just as natural as falling off a log.  So if you want your kids to have the ability to get up and do whatever in front of the public I suggest that you get them some education.  And I am not talking about the local school.
     There are a few in most schools that actually learn how to function in front of an audience thru debate, or forensics as it is now known.  This is a very limited number. 
     I am talking about more than just the ability to function I am talking about an education that is beyond the classroom.  If we went by the education we gained inside the school room we are woefully under trained.  We learn everyday and many times it is this school of hard knocks that give the most useful tools.
     There is an organization that if you don't have your kids in you are short changing them and the world.  This group is 4-H.  And yes I am a former 4-Her.  I wish I had went completely through the program and taken more advantage of what 4-H offered.  My ability to get on the stage and talk, sing, recite poetry, and make a fool of myself comes directly from my time in 4-H.
     In a world very different from today my parents lived eight miles from each other but did not meet until they went to Rock Springs Ranch 4-H camp.  I have great memories of camp myself.
      My good friend Carl Koster, a farm boy, from Cheney Kansas is in his 35th year of filming NFL football games.  How did Carl get set on the road to professional photographer and work for NFL Films?  4-H Photography project.  During the summers he judges a lot of county fair photography contests.
      I learned how to cook in the boys cooking project.  I discovered I am not adept at electronics.  Traditional skills that used to be taught in most public schools have been dropped so a young person can only get those skills through 4-H.  There is a whole list of projects for every interest so that it is not just the farm kid involved.  There are clubs in inner cities and projects that fit into today's world.
     If you never heard of 4-H before I don't know where you have been but it is in every state and county in the country.  With all the great things that 4-H does it is always first with Extension that is looked at for budget cuts.
     If you are curious about the 4-H programs in your area just open the phone book to the county listings and look for Extension Service.  Here in Kansas it is Kansas State Extension Service.  Wherever you are at Extension is part of the land grant college system.  You have a county agent that can fill you in on the best education you can give your kids.  And if you have a great skill that you can pass on they are always in need of project leaders.  Offer your services.

No comments:

Post a Comment