Friday, May 15, 2015

SAD ABOUT THE LOSS




"I WOULD RATHER DIE A MEANINGFUL
DEATH THAN TO LIVE A MEANINGLESS
LIFE."
                                                 Corazon Aquino

     There are times that I have to just stop and wonder why good people have bad things happen to them.  It is often explained by those wiser than me and I have to be satisfied that I cannot understand.  It is a purpose far above any wisdom that man can define.  We have all had loss that cuts to our very soul and we never get over it we just learn to go on with it and continue to live.  But the human side of us have a little anger that so many who seem to be worthless and a drag on society thrive and prosper.  I am thankful that I am not required to understand.
      I did not know Capt. Chris Norgren, I do know that as a Kansan and Christian I am thankful, and proud, for people like him who set the examples for those who's lives he touched and those he inspired.
     It is fitting that such a life was not lost in a hostile action, though he would have paid the price there also, but trying to help others.  He would have not wanted the resources diverted for his search as it would detract from the mission.  But I am sure that those who spent the time to find his downed chopper and brought him home are honored to do so.
     What a legacy to lay down his life helping his fellow human beings as he served to protect our country.  An example that I am sure will be talked about in the days and weeks to come.  How can we console a grieving family and those who knew him and are inspired by him?  All we can do is try to live each day with his example.
     I have to say that I was surprised when I saw that the Marines were still using the Huey Helicopter in regular service.  The last one I saw actually fly was 30 years ago.  A chopper that was designed and started production in 1952.  Only the B-52 has been rebuilt and still in service as long.  As I research there have been many upgrades and repowering's over the years.  There are many still in use in public service and private hands.
     The Army retired the last Huey Cherokee's in 2012.  By the very nature of a helicopter it is a machine that is said to try and 'tear itself apart'.  Helicopters are very high maintenance.
      I visited with a former Marine once and asked about how nervous he was during his deployment in the 1st Gulf War.  He said the "scariest thing I ever did was flying in the old rattle trap helicopters that they had to use."  I hope that this has changed.  The crash was at 11,400 feet and you have to wonder what the safe ceiling is for that model.  The local military fly's the Airbus (Aerospatiale) Alouette style helicopters designed for mountain terrain.
     Old military pilots have a healthy respect for the rugged Huey compared to the newer Black Hawks.  Lets hope that the equipment for our military is the best that we can buy.  They deserve no less.
     I think this is one subject that everyone can agree on, that Captain Chris Norgren is a fine example of a Kansan and American.  We shall miss him.

No comments:

Post a Comment